Position Title: Assistant Waiter
Revised Date: 04/21/2008
Provides food service to guests in all Restaurant Operations areas by performing the following essential duties and responsibilities outlined below.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
All duties and responsibilities are to be performed in accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s Gold Anchor Standards, SQM standards, USPH and HACCP guidelines, environmental, and work place safety policies and procedures. Each shipboard employee may be required to perform all functions in various food and beverage service venues throughout the ship.
In accordance with Royal Caribbean International’s philosophy of Anchored in Excellence, each employee conducts oneself in a professional and courteous manner at all times. This consists of physical and verbal interactions guests or fellow shipboard employees and/or in the presence of guest contact and crew areas.
1. Participates in rotational service delivery schedule, working in casual dining service and various other food and beverage service venues. Observes all established security and guest privacy procedures when delivering to staterooms.
2. Provides assistance and support to assigned team of Waiters while working in the dining room to ensure efficient and seamless service delivery of all meals to guests.
3. Learns and uses appropriate food and wine terminology and pronunciation to enhance the guest’s dining experience. Becomes familiar with menu descriptions and wine lists in order to discuss items appropriately with guests.
4. Obtains linen, silverware, glassware, and china to set tables.
5. Arranges settings on tables per Gold Anchor Standards.
6. Greets and escorts guests to their assigned seats per Gold Anchor Standards.
7. Presents both food and beverage menus to guests, suggests dinner courses, appropriate wines and answers questions regarding menu and wine selections per Gold Anchor Standards. Makes recommendations to entice guests while meeting management goals to reduce particular inventory stock.
8. Relays order to galley as required and serves courses from galley and beverages from various locations.
9. Garnishes and decorates dishes as required prior to serving.
10. Enters food and beverage orders in the point-of-sale system.
11. Maintains assigned station including table pieces, side stands and chairs per the clean ship matrix and public health standards.
12. Observes guests to anticipate their needs and responds to any additional requests and to determine when the food and beverage service has been completed.
13. Participates in dining room entertainment as directed by established activities and specific itinerary adaptations such as theme night parades.
14. Attends meetings, training activities, courses and all other work related activities as required.
15. Performs related duties as required. This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the shipboard employee occupying this position. Shipboard employees will be required to perform any other job-related duties assigned by their supervisor or management.
Minimum hiring, language and physical requirements to perform the job.
• Two years previous waiter experience, preferably in a 4 or 5 star restaurant.
• Ability to apply customer service skills according to Royal Caribbean International’s Gold Anchor Standards when interacting with guests and co-workers.
• Ability to perform basic math functions with regard to meal count procedures.
• Completion of high school or basic education equivalency preferred.
Internal Candidate Requirements:
In addition to the stated hiring requirements, internal candidates are required to fulfill the following:
• Must fulfill all requirements as stated in "Chart Your Course" or meet the external hiring requirements as detailed above.
• Must have been in current, permanent position an absolute minimum 90 days with a performance rating of satisfactory or above in that position before applying.
• Must complete one full contract with a performance rating of satisfactory or above with Royal Caribbean International before any placement will occur.
• No written warnings on file within the past 12 months.
• Must successfully complete the process for shipboard job applications.
• Ability to pass ISF Marlins Test level 2.
• Ability to speak English clearly, distinctly and cordially with guests.
• Ability to read and write English in order to understand and interpret written procedures. This includes the ability to give and receive instructions in written and verbal forms and to effectively present information and respond to questions from guests, supervisors and co-workers.
While performing the duties of this job, the shipboard employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to touch, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk or hear and taste or smell. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
All shipboard employees must be physically able to participate in emergency life saving procedures and drills. Full use and range of arms and legs as well as full visual, verbal and hearing abilities are required to receive and give instructions in the event of an emergency including the lowering of lifeboats. Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.